IT Assets have value – are you tapping into it?
Let’s start this off by asking three questions about the last time your company made a major IT equipment capital purchase:
- When’s the last time you overhauled the IT equipment in your company? Chances are you did it within the last five years.
- And what did you do with that equipment? If you’re like most companies, you probably shipped it off to an electronics recycler and bid farewell and good riddance to your old equipment and hello to the new and shiny stuff that’s now in your office.
- Did you know that you could have had up to 15 percent return on investment from that equipment? Probably not.
For every $1,500 laptop or desktop that is roughly three years old, you could have had returned to you $225. Corporation-wide, that could mean thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or, depending on the size of the company – millions.
You’re sitting on money and you just don’t know it.
Digital assets resale
Just because your assets are five years old doesn’t mean they don’t still have value. Sure, in the fast-paced IT world you may be a dinosaur if you’re not upgrading, but there’s a global market for older IT assets.
There are six billion other people in the world who need access to technology and they can’t afford the latest Mac laptop, switches or smartphones. There’s no end to that cycle of need here in Canada and abroad for quality IT equipment that can help them make the jump forward.
This means that instead of just handing that equipment over to a recycler and writing it off as a fully depreciated asset, you are getting a return on your initial investment, even though the equipment is older.
It all adds up. And you can do this with virtually every kind of IT asset your company has: from printers to servers – and everything in between.
IMPORTANT: You should note that if your company decides to ship IT equipment off to a recycler, they may ask you if it’s alright to resell / repurpose the equipment. Sometimes they just sell it. That means the money they get for YOUR equipment is going in THEIR pockets. That doesn’t seem like good business to us.
How the IT assets resale process works
At TechReset we’ll do the following:
- We can de-install and remove the equipment, whether it’s in a corporate high-rise, warehouse or public space and we’ll do it with limited disruption.
- Asset valuation – once in our facility we’ll tell you the condition and value of your IT assets.
- Forensic level data sanitation with our gold standard Blancco software.
- More than 90 percent of equipment is redeployed, resold or donated.
It’s that simple. And you get a return on your company’s initial capital investment.
Leaving money on the table
When companies go through the end-of-life process with their IT equipment, we envision asset managers being told to make that equipment go away, and then Googling a local electronics recycler and beginning the process to get rid of the old to make room for the new. They get the equipment taken away for nothing, and in their minds, they’re closing the loop on their electronic equipment.
Recycling isn’t best anymore
The message we’re trying to get out there is if you’re recycling, you’re actually doing the wrong thing. It’s not only bad for the environment with the raw materials that aren’t recouped, but it takes a lot of energy, too.
It’s better to repurpose your IT assets and you’ll get a better return on the initial capital investment.
Here at TechReset, we want you to rethink recycling your IT equipment to ensure you’re getting the most out of your investment while doing what’s best for your company and the environment.
Contact our team to learn more about how we can help you make sure you’re not leaving money on the table when it comes to your IT equipment.